Compassionate And Knowledgeable Birth Injury Lawyers
The birth of a child is typically the best day of a parent’s life with feelings of joy and happiness for that child’s and the entire family’s future. These positive feelings can quickly dissipate when a child sustains birth injuries that will impact their quality of life. When birth injuries occur, it can be devastating for the entire family both emotionally and financially.
If you are experiencing trauma and heartache due to the negligence of a medical professional during the delivery of your child, the law provides a route to seek financial compensation from the medical professionals whose negligence is at the root of those injuries. Speak with the birth injury attorneys of DeMore Law Firm, PLLC, to learn more about your legal options.
Types And Causes Of Birth Injuries And Defects
Birth injuries are damages to an infant’s body before, during, or after labor. Many birth injuries can potentially lead to death and always result in either physical or mental impairment. There are so many complications that can lead to birth injuries, but some are more common than others. These are some of the most common birth injuries:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Motor disability causing issues with posture and balance
- Comes with related conditions such as intellectual disability, vision and hearing problems, scoliosis, joint problems and seizures
- Caused by brain damage during birth
- Brachial Plexus Injuries
- Brachial plexus is the network of nerves that sends signals from your spinal cord to your shoulder, arm and hand
- Can result in permanent weakness, numbness, loss of use, and pain in affected areas
- Injuries occur during delivery when the nerves are ripped, compressed or stretched away from the spinal cord
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Fractures, dislocation and nerve damage
- Can result in pain, discomfort, numbness, and loss of use or mobility
- Caused by medical providers putting pressure on the spinal cord and mishandling the baby
- Umbilical Cord Issues
- Loss of oxygen resulting in minor to serious birth injuries and even death
- Caused by umbilical cord being compressed, twisted or getting wrapped around the baby’s neck
- Improper Vacuum Use
- Vacuums assist in expelling the baby out of the birth canal after getting stuck
- Improper use can cause the child to be forced into damaging positions
- Can result in many different injuries or death
- Improper Forceps Use
- Forceps reposition the child in the womb for more suitable delivery
- Improper use can force the child into damaging positions and harm both the child and the mother
- Can cause nerve damage and loss of oxygen in the child
The Struggles Of Birth Injuries
Birth injuries damaging to the child and take an emotional toll on the child’s parents and other family members. The pain and suffering that a child and their parents experience from birth defects can have long-lasting effects on the family. Learning that your child may not live a “normal life” and changing your way of life to adapt to the needs of your child can significantly impact the whole family’s quality of life and mental health. There also comes the medical expenses both in the moment of a child’s birth injury, as well as the future medical expenses.
These expenses can include physical therapy, special education, medical equipment, special transportation, as well as time off from work that goes into caring for your child’s particular needs. New York laws set a limit on the time that can pass before you can no longer file a claim for compensation in a birth injury case. The statute of limitations for filing a birth injury lawsuit for injuries sustained to the baby during labor and delivery is 10 years from the date of birth.
If your family is struggling with a childbirth defect at the potential fault of a health care professional, take the first step toward pursuing justice by scheduling a consultation with DeMore Law Firm, PLLC, before the statute of limitations for filing a claim expires.
Meet With A Birth Injury Lawyer
The attorneys at DeMore Law Firm, PLLC, have vast experience successfully representing birth injury cases in New York. Act quickly and meet with our compassionate and knowledgeable birth injury lawyers by calling 315-413-7000 or sending us an email to make arrangements for a free case evaluation.